Welcome

This blog is to keep my friends and family up to date with my adventures abroad. Thank you for taking the time to check up on me!
-Adam

Saturday, December 10, 2011

The first night

When we finally arrived in Wugang around 5 PM (2 hours later than originally expected), the first thing we did was to take pictures in front of the large city sign that read 舞钢欢迎您! (Wugang Welcomes You). Although pictures usually are not my favorite thing to do, I was not annoyed this time as the surroundings were quite beautiful and a pleasant change from Kaifeng.

---The teacher had informed me on the way to the city that we would be going to the high school that evening. He would give an English lecture to his students, I would be asked to participate in the lecture, then invited to make comments at the end of the lesson critiquing his teaching style, ability and English proficiency. The reason for all of the formality was because the local news station was going to be there, along with all the heads of the school. Before the talk, the uncle told me that he would like me to critique him on style, design, confidence and ability. He also said that I should say “good things” as to give him “confidence in front of his students.” I thought that this would go without saying, but I felt a little strange being told that I should say good things. Therefore, going into this I was a little uncomfortable that I all but had words put into my mouth. ---

After the picture-taking session, we proceeded into the city, which was as beautiful as the surrounding countryside. Strangely enough, the thing that I was most pleased about was that the city was NOT FLAT! There were hills and valleys! It’s strange the things that you will miss about home. I hadn’t realized how much I missed hills until I saw them again. Living in Kaifeng has been the longest I have ever gone without seeing real hills!!! --- It’s like the Kansas of Central China---

More than 100 students and teachers as well as the news staff attended the lecture that evening. To my delight, the teacher giving the lesson was quite excellent! He used English throughout the entire lecture, only reverting to Chinese to make sure that the students understood the definitions of new words. He also went outside of the textbook and used multi-media AND he encouraged lots and lots of student participation. A feature that I found particularly striking is that he not only asked students to provide answers, but also asked them to vocalize and support their opinions. (A feature, that I had assumed was dead in Chinese education--- I am still informed that his teaching style is more than nonconventional)

He asked me to join him in a part of his lecture where he had the students guess a new word from the lecture based on its definition. I provided the definition. The students did quite well and were able to follow almost all of what I said. After the lecture, I was indeed invited to critique the teacher’s performance. Because of the quality of the lecture, I was able to give my honest opinion and not feel guilty about regurgitating the words that he put into my mouth… I complemented him, but he wanted me to tell him something that he did wrong… I told him that maybe he could organize the students into groups and encourage them to speak and discuss answers within groups. This way they would get more practice with speaking to each other and not just answering the teacher’s questions in English. He seemed to be quite pleased with this answer.

When the lecture was over, I was informed that there was still time remaining and I was allowed to open the floor for questions… This was by far my favorite part! At first the students were very shy with only one or two students brave enough to ask questions. Then they finally warmed up and asked me questions about my home, my life, my ideas and my hobbies and the like for the better part of an hour! (this time flew by because the students kept it interesting) I think my favorite question was by a boy in the back that stood up and bravely, and nonchalantly asked “What do you think of Chinese girls?” with the most serious look on his face. Immediately, the whole room burst into laughter, as did I! I thought for a minute about what kind of satisfactory and flattering answer I could give without being too provocative or too uncomplimentary. I finally decided to say that “Chinese girls are kind, friendly and thoughtful.” I really hoped that this would make them all happy. I think it did, but I could tell that boy that asked the question had a different idea in mind (he wanted me to comment on appearance). However, instead of allowing him to prod any deeper, I turned the question back on him and said, “Now, what do YOU think of AMERICAN girls?” The classroom was once again filled with laughter and applause! Everyone was satisfied with this question, but I could tell that this caught him more than a little off guard. Without much delay, however, he quickly responded “American girls are all tall strong and brave.” I told him that I would carry that message back to the states with me!

After everyone had left the classroom, many of the students came up to greet me and take a few pictures with me… Not too long after, I was approached by the reporter and her camera man and asked to make a few comments. She wanted me to speak in Chinese. But, still unable to adequately communicate in this language, I opted to comment in English and allow Lance to translate. I simply said “I am happy to have this opportunity to visit your city and meet with the capable teachers and eager students.” I was not sure at that time whether or not or when this story would air, but I got a text from the teacher later in the week saying that I had been featured on both the local morning and evening news!

By the time we left the school it was already after 9 o’clock! I was exhausted! On the way back to the hotel, however, I was informed, for the first time, that I would be required to give a 3 hour lecture the next day on American Culture and lifestyle… I stayed up for an hour in the hotel trying to think about what I could possible talk about for three hours, and finally decided a few things and opted to wing the rest… 

No comments:

Post a Comment