Welcome

This blog is to keep my friends and family up to date with my adventures abroad. Thank you for taking the time to check up on me!
-Adam

Monday, August 29, 2011

first full day (sunday)


8-28
I woke up this morning about 6:45 to broad daylight. I am not sure what time the sun came up, but it was already quite bright. I had told Ben last night to just come to my door and knock when he was ready to get breakfast. This happened about 7:15 while I was shaving. I was glad that he was also up so early, because I was ready to start my day…
We began the day by taking my empty 5 gallon water jug to the “Gateman” along with 5 RMB (still less than $1) to get the jug refilled… after chatting with him for a few minutes, Ben took me through campus and out to West campus where we got our breakfast… I ate 包子 (Bao Zi) which is a stuffed and steam bun. At only 1 RMB (about 17 cents) for two, four made a delicious and filling breakfast.
After breakfast, we walked a bit more through campus and out through the South Gate (Oh yeah, the whole campus is walled in: we’re locked in at night) from here we took the city bus (also only 1 RMB for anywhere in the city). The bus went through the city (of 5 Million!) and to the “new campus” which houses much of the science and technology majors (wheras the “old campus” where I live and teach, which is for the Arts) The city and the new campus are very nice. I was impressed by how much building was happening! Apartment buildings were being erected everywhere!! Ben tells me that this is because Kaifeng just got a new Mayor. “The old one was corrupt and not much was built with him; now they are playing catch-up.”
When we got back to (old) campus, we went to the International Affairs Office (which is conveniently located next to our apartments!), I met Mr. Ma, who is the director. He is very friendly and speaks good English. I am pleased to be working with such a pleasant man.
This afternoon also proved to be quite eventful. I had lunch in Downtown Kaifeng with Ben and Jeff (a classmate of mine from Akron) as well as some of their friends. We went to the restaurant and found out that there was going to be a 30 min wait. (which is always a good sign with strange food… lots of local customers= great food) the crowds were right… it was delicious: steamed buns (with broth and filling inside), fried orange tofu and Kung-Pao chicken…
We spent the remainder of the afternoon playing scrabble until we joined some more of Ben’s friends for dinner at their apartment: more delicious Chinese dishes: Chicken, Mushrooms, Vegetables, Curry etc…
End of the first full day and I am exhausted…
On a side note… English teachers are in such demand here that I already was offered another job teaching young children… I definitely would do it for some extra cash, but I want to get settled and determine how much I have on my plate before I add more to it…

No comments:

Post a Comment