Welcome

This blog is to keep my friends and family up to date with my adventures abroad. Thank you for taking the time to check up on me!
-Adam

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Xi'an Part two

the second full day of our Xi'an trip was dedicated to going to see the famed terracotta warriors. I will include my pictures and impressions. If you would like to read more about the significance and the history of this army, please go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terracotta_Army  (this is a good summary please visit)
In brief, this army was commissioned by the first Emperor of China, Qin Shi Huang, in about 200 BC. The purpose of these soldiers was to protect the emperor in his afterlife. according to legend, he wanted to kill and bury real soldier, but was advised against it due to adverse political and military consequences. there are more than 8000 life size (actually a bit bigger/ he wanted his afterlife army to be formidable) soldiers in all. 
a line of soldier in the main pit

in front of the large excavation sire in Pit number one: which contains 6000 soldiers

the front line of soldiers

several rows of soldiers in the first pit

The command center pit

the kneeling archer warrior. This was the only warrior not crushed by the collapsing ceiling of the pit

a soldier and a horse. the horses were all small and young, quick and agile. (I was told)

When the soldiers were buried, they were armed with real weapons. When they were discovered in the 1970's, most of the weapons were gone. The tomb had been looted by an invading army. But of the weapons that were left. most of them were still SHARP after more than 2000 years. this is due to the chromium plating technology described on the picture above.

This mound is the actual tomb of the first emperor. It has not been excavated, but the contents are thought to be magnificent. 

the city wall at night

The band at a small bar in downtown Xi'an. After a few songs, I asked if I could join them and play drums. The agreed, and I was able to play a couple of songs with them. I think someone that I was traveling with may have recorded it, I will try to get a hold of that footage

Will and Tim in the giant new train station in Xi'An

Tim enjoying some of the Colonel's Best in the Xi'an train station 

No comments:

Post a Comment