Welcome

This blog is to keep my friends and family up to date with my adventures abroad. Thank you for taking the time to check up on me!
-Adam

Friday, September 9, 2011

Chinese Beer (啤酒)

Today I want to talk a little bit about Chinese beer... I am sure this will only be the first time of many that I share about beer over the course of the next year. In the past two weeks I have had a chance to sample various brands of Chinese beer. I remember in one of my first blog entries I mentioned drinking a beer and claimed that it was cheap and "not so bad." Since then, I have had some beers, also cheap, that were "so bad;" I would like to point out that MOST Chinese beer has an alcohol concentration ranging from 2-3.5% ABV (In the states it starts at 4 and goes UP)
Yesterday, Tall Ben (another beer lover) and I decided that it was time that we find some good beer... We had heard rumors about a German beer store downtown and decided to check it out... Well, to make a long story short--- the store was a disappointment. There was a poor selection and everything was overpriced. The main product was mini-kegs costing about 300 RMB each. (Mind you, I have been eating ALL day for about 12 RMB) Since we went all the way down there, Ben and I decided that we should at least buy one (bottle) of beer apiece. I grabbed a pilsner (frankly it was the only one I knew anything about).
On the way back to campus we decided that we'd just buy a case of our favorite 'fall-back' Chinese beer "TsingTao" 青岛 (We have it in the states)... This beer was only 45 RMB (about 8 USD)  for a case of 12 600 ml bottles... This beer tastes pretty good and surpasses other local beers with an ABV of 4.7% (doesn't taste like water). I think I'll be sticking with this for the remainder of my time here...

No comments:

Post a Comment