Welcome

This blog is to keep my friends and family up to date with my adventures abroad. Thank you for taking the time to check up on me!
-Adam

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Mid Autumn Festival: Moon Cakes

an example of a fancy moon cake
This past Monday was a national holiday which meant NO class as China celebrated the Mid-Autumn Festival. The Mid-Autumn Festival is a traditional Chinese festival best explained by the experts of Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-Autumn_Festival
When I ask students or Chinese friends what they do on Mid-Autumn Festival they always same the same thing: "eat moon cakes 月饼." So in order to experience the holiday in a traditional manner, I emulated the locals and spent the weekend sampling moon cakes. Fortunately, I did not have to actually buy any cakes because I received several as a gift from the International Programs office and from other teachers and friends... This venture was semi-successful at best. The very first one I tried was pineapple flavored, which was delicious. The next few were not quite so good... The next one was what I call "ambiguous meat flavored"Yeah, I know, meat in a cake GROSS!!! and it is indeed as gross as the name implies... I made it one bite in before throwing the rest of it away... The third one was also a "dud" as I have been calling the bad ones. It started out good as it was sweet red bean filled. The sweetness ended abruptly when I bit into something hard, yellow and bitter. I thought Potato? Ben, who I think knew what was coming and decided not to tell me for his own enjoyment, quickly informed me that it was actually duck egg-yolk... From this point on, I made it a habit of either asking explicitly "what is in this?" or breaking the thing open to examine it before putting it in my mouth... This has generally been a pretty good practice as I have successfully avoided two more "ambiguous meat cakes" and managed to find another pineapple cake, a strawberry cake and a peanut cake!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment