Welcome

This blog is to keep my friends and family up to date with my adventures abroad. Thank you for taking the time to check up on me!
-Adam

Monday, September 12, 2011

The Cold, The Rain and the Foreigners

These last few days it has been pretty miserably weather wise. Actually, we have had pretty constant rain for the last week... The temperature has also fallen about 20 degrees since my arrival when it was in the mid to upper 90's. Now it is cool and comfortable in the low to mid 70's. However, the rain does make it feel a bit cooler. Being from the 'North Pole' of Ohio, I find this weather along with the cool mists to be quite comfortable and  therefore have not changed my wardrobe from the shorts, t-shirt and flip-flops that I have been wearing for the last week. On thee other hand, it appears that everyone else in the city of Kaifeng (including the other foreign teachers) has decided that it is now time to wear pants and fall jackets... What does this mean for me? I stand out even more!!! Now its not just "Oooo, look at that foreigner," its "Wow, look at that crazy foreigner who is not wearing any clothes!!" While walking downtown yesterday, I saw a moped crash into the back of a bus right beside me... I have a strange suspicion that it was because he was trying to steal a second glance at me and Ben and didn't see the bus stop in front of him!!!
My clothing choice also seems to be bewildering to my students and Chinese friends that have asked me on numerous occasions: "do you feel cold." I always answer "No," and try to explain that where I come from it starts snowing sometimes in November and that the snow comes up to our knees!!! I start wearing pants when the temperature goes below 55!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment